There comes a time in every notable life when one must choose to use their strengths to pursue either wealth or their convictions. With luck, one might find the former while chasing the latter, but the latter almost always dissipates in the search for the former. And so it is with my work; Do I build to change war, change peace, change work, change leisure, and in doing so, become a titan of industry? Or do I do what I can to seek answers to the most fundamental questions at the heart of mankind, those that one asks shivering in the darkness when the light of day has absconded with life’s distractions? Is there a God? If there is, He is much crueler than we could have ever imagined. Is there life after death? Assuredly so, as the survivors of the risen Gettysburg Cemetery can attest. Can one return unscathed to the ones they left far, far too soon? I’m damn well going to find out. The secrets of our fragile, unraveling reality are buried deeper than we have ever thought to dig. But just as our species used its intellect to cease the fumbling of our fingernails against the unyielding earth, so too shall we use the fruits of this New Science to uncover the bounty below. And anyone who tries to stop me shall become track for my wheels, and fuel for my fire. My love, you departed believing that my work pulled me from you. It will be the final thing to reunite us. This I swear.
-Document recovered at great difficulty from the home of Darius Hellstromme, mid-August, 1877
In the West Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
- Greg – Guillaume Olivier. Canadian hunter and fur trapper. He’s a large and jolly man, but behind that carefully groomed beard is a man who’s slain bears with a bowie knife. Guillaume feels that he has conquered the North, so he has moved to the U.S. to see if he can find a challenge worthy of his strength. When he’s not seeking thrills against dangerous opponents, he’s drinking and telling tall tales about himself to anyone who will listen.
- Kevin – Gabriel Young. Sixty-three and loving it, Gabriel Young has seen the world change in almost every way. Formerly enslaved in Georgia, he and his family fled north to Boston, where he found work as a machinist and eventually joined the Union Army as war broke out. After the supernatural horrors of Gettysburg, he started to develop a talent for the new science, finding work as a freelancer amid the constant troubles of the fractured former United States. Now a widower with an adult son deeply involved in the clandestine activities of the Agency, he has left behind the East to seek adventure and insight in the West.
- Axe – Wilhelmina “Mina” Saltonstall – An intense, somewhat slight woman nearing thirty and almost always clad in the mysterious black duster of the Union Agency. Tarnished by the sorcerous legacy of her now-forgotten family, she puts her skills in the Huckster’s arts to use keeping the Union safe and prosperous.
- Josh – Clem. An enigmatic, sharpshooting, wisecracking teenager from the Confederacy. Ran off with a very expensive rifle, and now the Confederacy wants it back.
- Susan – Artemisia “Missy” Weston. She is a well to do lady of 27 from upstate New York who has come west after receiving her portion of an inheritance seeking adventure. Having expensive taste is okay when you have the money to back it up. She has a plethora of skills; sewing, surgery, a silver tongue, and soliciting spirits. You know, just girly things. A secret family past with the dead haunts her every decision for how to approach the problems she faces