What does it take to be evil? Was it a lack of morals, like a Shadowgrange shopkeeper charging exorbitant prices for his goods to eek out what riches he can, knowing that the land is dying? Or is it a lack of compassion, the same as a young wizard who had been trapped for so long, using and taking what can further his endeavors and ignoring aught else? Perhaps it is a lack of faith, seen in the cruel blades and sharp eyes of the Stensian hunter and the Vistani assassin? Or maybe a lack of loyalty, held in the plotting vampire with the face of a friend working in the shadows against her keeper? A lack of flexibility, seen in an inquisitor furious at the burning of her town raging against a power she knew not how to face?
Or just perhaps, a lack of fear. Of defeat. Of seeing something as impossible, no matter the costs, no matter the loss? Like a tinkerer searching for an answer feverishly to recover lost love and like an old man in the body of a beautiful tyrant wishing for drive and the soul and image of someone he thought he lost. Committing crimes in the name of the impossible that seems so possible. And that hope sometimes makes all the difference. But perhaps again, maybe this drive was their good.
Who knows what evil is listener, until you stumble across it? Perhaps we will find out.
Dark Walk Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
- James – Conrad Starkherz – Paladin: An inquisitor of the Avacynian church, dedicated to the destruction of evil by all available means. His fighting skills are weathered by his age, but he has come to rely on his holy powers to protect him from both his foes and the memories of his past.
- Susan – Elyria – Druid: A young lady who made her home in the terrifying forest of the Ulvenwald. She is a thin girl of medium height with wild ginger curls all over her head. The first things noticed are always her red hair and her large green eyes. She was a young girl from Kessig who found she had fantastical abilities fled to live in nature when some disastrous things happened. She has fantastical powers that can change nature, but these powers cannot change her past.
- Axe – Niccolo Argenti – Rogue: A former Midnight Duelist, sworn to protect the streets of his home city of Nephalia from vampires and corpse-traders. After his brother Jacomo died in service of the Church of Avacyn, he became disillusioned and forsook his duties, becoming an apostate and blade for hire. Thirty-five years old, he’s managed to live to what passes for middle age on the blighted plane of Innistrad with the sharpness of his wits and the speed of his blade.
- Kevin – Faustus Pent – Wizard: University educated among the Ivory Towers of Nephalia, Faustus Pent made a career of creating clockwork devices for the well-off, from toys to complicated weaponry. Betrothed to Inquisitor Arcelia Bright, his life took a terrible turn when she led an ill-fated raid against Strefan Maurer two years ago. On learning the news, he immediately closed his shop and devoted himself to single-minded study of battle magic. Now, spellbook and strange magics in tow, he has finally made his way to Stensia to find the lost pieces of a life denied to him…
- Travis – Grove Hecker – Ranger: Folk hero of Kessig. Grove is known for solving mysterious investigations and surviving deadly monsters attacks around the province . His last investigation ended with him befriending a wolf mongrel, Yew, and being asked politely to leave Kessig. His gruff demeanor and combat prowess make him a fantastic huntsman but his years in the Ulvenwald have made him a terrible people person. With his unusual new partner Yew, Grove left Kessig to challenge the Somberwald of Stensia.
- Josh – Grimhild – Fighter: A taciturn monster hunter from the grim mountains of Stensia. A pale skinned, fair haired, and athletically muscular woman with a permanent scowl. With an obscured past and a chip on her shoulder she hunts many of the fiends of the dark. Though her relationship with the church and its angels is strained at best, she has become a stalwart, if grim, defender of the people they forgot.