The yoriki get to work straight away, with their plans to salvage Kakita Yoshitaka’s meal expected to take up the entire night and most of the next morning. Sailors have to be paid, noodles need to be sourced. And who would have a bottle of the famous Daidoji Umeshu available at this unforunate hour at a reasonable price? On the one hand, success means the favor of the powerful Lady Doji Mika and the fulfillment of their mission, but failure may mean becoming victims seven through twelve of Seppun Takashi’s brutal need for obeisance.
- Josh: Shosuro Shizuko, an upstanding Scorpion Bushi who is in no way a ninja or ninja-like entity. Honest. Distrusted even by other Scorpion due to the disloyalty of an ancestor, She makes masks as a hobby when she’s not skulking through the shadows.
- James: Kitsuki Noboyuki, a Dragon magistrate who is a student of the Kitsuki Method, which claims that weird stuff like evidence collection and observation should be used to determine the guilt of a suspected criminal, rather than just believing the word of the highest-ranking samurai present. A prodigy at investigation and a skilled orator besides, he’s physically and spiritually weakened by an old wound.
- Max: Tsuruchi Yui, a skilled archer born into the Mantis Clan, who tracks criminals and enemies of the Empire with the help her trained hunting hawk, and is an adherent to the Wasp Code, a variation on the Bushido code of conduct the others follow
- Travis: Hida Genzo, a hulking brute of a Crab samurai that is scarred from his time on the Wall that guards the rest of the Empire from the Shadowlands. Still, scars are proof of duty done, and he’s always willing to pledge his massive tetsubo to whatever is demanded of him.
- Susan: Tamori Minako, a calm and contemplative shugenja from the Dragon Clan who is most comfortable letting the massive destructive power of the Kami speak for her.