The Crane city of Mura Sabishii Toshi is once again a seat of growing prosperity after being ravaged in a Crab/Crane border conflict. It’s governess is an important figure, whose opinion carries a lot of weight even in the courts of the Capital, and her favor is desired by the Emerald Bureaucracy.
It should have been a simple, even boring social visit, but an impossible-to-please noble and a ruined meal put Magistrate Torokai’s assembled team in a much more interesting position, with surprisingly high stakes.
Note from the GM: These one-shots are being posted slightly out of order, there’s no direct causal relationship between any of them, but the previous one is mentioned in the intro.
- Josh: Shosuro Shizuko, an upstanding Scorpion Bushi who is in no way a ninja or ninja-like entity. Honest. Distrusted even by other Scorpion due to the disloyalty of an ancestor, She makes masks as a hobby when she’s not skulking through the shadows.
- James: Kitsuki Noboyuki, a Dragon magistrate who is a student of the Kitsuki Method, which claims that weird stuff like evidence collection and observation should be used to determine the guilt of a suspected criminal, rather than just believing the word of the highest-ranking samurai present. A prodigy at investigation and a skilled orator besides, he’s physically and spiritually weakened by an old wound.
- Max: Tsuruchi Yui, a skilled archer born into the Mantis Clan, who tracks criminals and enemies of the Empire with the help her trained hunting hawk, and is an adherent to the Wasp Code, a variation on the Bushido code of conduct the others follow
- Travis: Hida Genzo, a hulking brute of a Crab samurai that is scarred from his time on the Wall that guards the rest of the Empire from the Shadowlands. Still, scars are proof of duty done, and he’s always willing to pledge his massive tetsubo to whatever is demanded of him.
- Susan: Tamori Minako, a calm and contemplative shugenja from the Dragon Clan who is most comfortable letting the massive destructive power of the Kami speak for her.